Redcar Racecourse is a flat course situated in the Yorkshire seaside town of Redcar in Teesside. Redcar has recently come to prominence after improvements were made to its track and facilities, and the racecourse now hosts some of the finest flat racing in the country.
Dating back to 1872, racing in Redcar began on Cotham beach, but moved to a permanent racecourse in 1875 with the Redcar Racing Company opening that same year. Since then, Redcar Racecourse has hosted regular flat race meetings between March and October, establishing a selection of high profile fixtures.
Over the years a number of legendary jockeys have graced its track including Fred Archer, Frankie Dettori and Lester Piggott. In 2006, after major investment in the facilities at the course and improvements on the track itself, Redcar won the prestigious Neil Wyatt Groundstaff Award. Following the award, Redcar has attracted better sponsorship and increased spectatorship.
The course now has representation from all the UK’s top jockeys and trainers throughout the season, making racing at Redcar some of the best and most competitive in the country.
The track at Redcar is a flat, relatively tight, left-handed oval, compensated by banked turns into the straights. The course covers a distance of 1 mile, 6 furlongs which includes a five furlong run-in, and a mile long track before the first bend which is used for straight races of a mile or less.
The course is regarded as a fair track with the draw having little effect on the outcome of the race. Redcar hosts 19 flat fixtures between March and October each year. The racing highlights of the season are:
- The Two Year Old Trophy: Held every October with a minimum value of £200,000 the Two Year Old Trophy is one of the most valuable races in Europe, attracting some of the top juvenile horses from across the country.
- The William Hill Lincoln Handicap: Staged for the first time in 2005, the William Hill Lincoln Handicap is the biggest race ever to have been held on the course, a straight mile handicap with a value of £100,000.
- Zetland Gold Cup: The Zetland Gold Cup is a popular heritage handicap race with a value of £50,000, held on the Spring Bank Holiday Monday each year in May.
- John Smiths Straight Mile Championship Series: Introduced in 2005, the John Smiths Straight Mile is raced on the course’s mile long straight track and has a value of £100,000.
- Family Day: Held at the beginning of October every year Family Day is a day of racing suitable for all the family, with a playground, crèche facilities and children’s entertainment to keep the younger race-goers amused.
- Party Night: A popular event held at the end of August each year, Party Night is a lively night of racing and music.
- Non-Racing Events: To promote the site and generate income Redcar hosts various non-racing events throughout the year including car boot sales, charity days, live music and corporate events.
Tickets can be ordered online or through the ticket office (01642 484 068) at the following prices:
The Course Enclosure
- Facilities: café, bar, good view of track
- Adult: £5 (feature day) £4 (regular day)
- OAP: £3.50 (feature day) £2.50 (regular day)
- Under-16: free
- Facilities: bars, restaurants, excellent viewing areas
- Adult: £15 (feature day) £12 (regular day)
- OAP: £9 (feature day) £8 (regular day)
- Under-16: free
- Includes: Grandstand entry, racecard, drink (beer, wine or soft drink), dish of the day or baguette and £2 betting discount off a £5 betting card.
- Adult (price per person based on 10 or more people): £19 (feature day) £16 (regular day)
- Adult: £135
- Joint (two members): £205
- Under-21: £55
- Under-16: Free
Redcar Racecourse is easily accessed by road or rail.
From the North East follow the A19 and take the junction marked A174 and continue towards Redcar. Signs to the racecourse will soon become visible. The racecourse is also well signposted from the A1, A66 and A1085. All car parking is free at the racecourse.
Redcar train station is well served by East Coast Line trains and is a five-minute walk from the racecourse.
For information about races and for general enquiries contact:
Address: Redcar Racecourse, The Racecourse, Redcar, TS10 2BY
Tel: 01642 484 068
Fax: 01642 488 272